How to remove blackheads from your nose overnight
How I got rid of my blackheads
I used to suffer horribly from blackheads on my face. I was embarrassed to go out in public, and school made me feel awful. My mother used to buy me all kinds of products that were supposed to remove my blackheads, like the blackhead extractor tool. A great short term solution, but unfortunately not permanent.
Here is my list of my 3 favorite blackhead removal products.
The 3 best ways to get rid of blackheads
- The oil cleansing method results are instantaneous.
- Requires cheap ingredients that last a long time (Mineral oil mixed with a tsp. Jojoba Oil).
- The satisfactional feeling of makes this one of, if not the best blackhead remover.
- Chemical Exfoliators are a permanent solution and will prevent future blackheads.
- Penetrates the skin to clean and reduce the size of your pores.
- Paula's Choice BHA 2% works on all skin types (dry, oily & combination skin).
- The Nano KINGA can generate hot steam in seconds.
- The heat will loosen and unclog your pores, allowing you to remove bacteria and dirt.
- Increase the permeation of the skin, making moisturizers and exfoliation more effective.
It is important to remember that blackheads are not dirt and will not be removed by scrubbing harder. Physically scrubbing your face will only irritate it and create small wounds that causes acne and skin irritations. Always treat your facial skin gently.
What are blackheads?
Blackheads or open comedomes are clogged pores filled with bacteria, dead cells and oil (sebum) clumped together. When this mixture gets exposed to air it starts oxidizing. As it oxidizes, the color of the mixture will slowly turn darker until it's black.
This is why a blackhead is not always black, they can also be yellow or light brown. Not to be confused with whiteheads, these are just white dots on your face. The most common spot for a black head to appear on is your nose.
How to get rid of blackheads naturally
My favorite diy & natural way to remove blackheads completely is the oil cleansing method. It is very simple and requires mineral oil and a little bit of jojoba oil.
- Mix a tsp. of Jojoba oil with a tablespoon of mineral oil.
- Apply the mixture to a dry face.
- Rub it in for 30-45 seconds.
- Wash it off with a face cloth.
How to get rid of blackheads overnight
To remove blackheads overnight and make sure they stay away permanently, I suggest using a chemical exfoliant.
- Cleanse & dry your face with a face cleanser.
- Apply a BHA Exfoliant to your dry skin.
- Let it sit on your face for 10-15 minutes.
- Apply your moisturizer.
How to get rid of blackheads at home
Another home remedy to remove blackheads is by using a facial cleansing brush that oscillates. This allows your cleanser to go deep into your pores.
- Apply cleanser to your face.
- Brush your chin and each cheek for 10 seconds.
- Brush your nose and forehead for 20 seconds.
- Wash the cleanser off with a face cloth.
How to get rid of blackheads fast
The best way to remove blackheads instantly is the clay mask method. Get your favorite clay mask and follow this guide:
- Apply a tablespoon of clay to your face.
- Spread it evenly until you get a thin layer.
- Let it set for 10-15 minutes
- Wash it off with a face cloth
All blackhead removal tools
What causes blackheads?
The two main causes for clogged pores are the abundance of oil and the size of your pores. These are affected by:
- Make-up & Skincare products
- Food & Drinks
Oil or sebum is produced by the sebaceous gland for protection of your skin. The amount of sebum produced is influenced by your hormones. An overproduction of sebum can cause the sebaceous gland duct to become blocked. While cleansers are very effective against acne, they cannot help you much with an overproduction of oil.
The size of your pores is the other direct cause for the clogging. While everyone is born with different sizes of pores, it can also be influenced badly by certain blackhead removal products. The two most common culprits are the extractor tool and pore strips. While both can give you good results on short time, they will increase the rate dirt & bacteria gathers in your pores.
Make-up & Skincare products
Certain make-up & skincare products are comedogenic, this means they contain an ingredient able to clog your pores. If you keep having blackheads, try to stop using those brands for a period of time and see if your skin improves.
Medication is able to give you acne & deep blackheads fast, if you are under medication read the accompanying paper instructions, ask your doctor, or try to search it on the internet.
Food & Drinks
While there is a lot of controversy around it, certain food & drinks can be a potential cause for you having to get rid of blackheads. It is said alcohol and caffeine stimulate your sebaceous gland, increasing the production of sebum. The same can be said about food containing a high amount of carbohydrates, but the results of the studies are inconclusive. Even though the results are inconclusive, it is best to lower your alcohol and caffeine consumption for other health related matters.
We all know smoking is bad for your health and can cause lung cancer and potentially other diseases. The smoke is also blocking your pores and damaging your skin. Avoid them not only for your health, but also for your skin!
Going out for a run? Make sure to get all that sweat off if you don't shower directly after. Sweat clogs pores, even on your ears! If you'd like to read more about how to prevent getting clogged pores in your ears, I suggest you read my blackheads in ear blogpost
How to prevent blackheads
There are a few ways to prevent blackheads on your nose, or atleast a way to reduce the chance of them appearing.
- The first thing you should do is throw out all the extractor tools and pore strips as they will only make the clogged pores return in greater numbers.
- Next, you should stop/reduce the usage of certain food, drink & other products that are listed above.
- The the most important factor will be having a good skincare routine. I have noticed great differences in the appearance of my pores by just changing my skin care routine.
Alternative Blackhead Removal Tools
Facial Cleansing Brush to get rid of blackheads on nose
A face cleansing brush is one type of physical exfoliation that can help you remove blackheads. Deep cleansing brushes that oscillate push your cleanser into your pores. This allows the cleanser to clean parts of your face you wouldn't otherwise reach with your hands. Your unclogged pores will appear much less visible.
Many facial cleansing brushes operate by spinning the brush. This will NOT get rid of blackheads on your nose. You will have to buy an oscillating brush if you want to go deep in the blackhead. Here is a helpful guide & review on which device fits best for you!
Mint Julep Mask to get rid of blackheads on nose
The mint julep mask is the holy grail for many people, the best blackhead removal mask. It will absorb the excess of oils similar to the OCM and will remove blackheads on your nose overnight while reduce the appearance of the pores.
How to apply Mint Julep Face Mask
- Apply mask to a clean face and let it harden for a couple of minutes (10-15). It will unclog the pores and remove other impurities from your skin.
- You can wipe it off with a lukewarm washcloth.
- The previously mentioned OCM can also be used to wipe off the mask.
Clay Masks to get rid of blackheads on nose
A pore cleansing clay mask to draw out the deep blackheads and refresh your facial skin. It has been used for over thousand years and suggested to be the best way to treat blackheads. My favorite clay mask is the Aztec Secret Indian clay mask, I've been using it for a long time now with no negative effects. I tried out others, but this aztec clay mask gave me the best results.
The clay in the masks literally rips open and pulls out any bacteria it comes in contact with. Which will result in a smooth and refreshing feeling and get rid of all the blackheads on your nose, cheek, back, on lips and around them.
How to apply Clay Mask
- Apply mask to a clean skin and let it harden for a few minutes
- Do the touch test and when it starts feeling dry but still a bit sticky take it off
- Wipe it off with a lukewarm washcloth
When the mask is left on your face for too long it will suck all the moisture out of your skin resulting in a dry and tight face.
Egg White Face Mask to get rid of blackheads
Egg white is a great DIY natural face mask to not only unclog your open pores, but also tighten them temporarily afterwards. Resulting in great short term success without too many side-effects. The keep your pores tight, you will have to use the mask approximately 3 times a week. You can also combine it with an AHA exfoliant to have longer lasting effect. Egg white can be drying, so do not use this every day. If you want to see the effects of an egg white face mask without making your hands dirty, you can also get a premade mask.
To use an egg white mask you require an egg, a bowl and some toilet paper or a tissue. Break it and let the egg white drop into a bowl.
How to apply Egg White Facial Mask
- Apply the egg white on your face
- Put some toilet paper or tissue on top of it and let it dry
- Apply a second layer and another tissue
- Repeat this until you run out of egg white
- Wash it all off with a facecloth and cleanser
Make sure when you are done, just like with other home remedies, to wash everything off, eggs are known to contain the bacterium called salmonella. It is a food poisoning and is able to breed on your skin if left on for a long time.
So how to get rid of clogged pores on nose? Well, there is no best blackhead treatment, but there are a bunch of products and home remedies that could help you. The road to a glowing skin is not a straight line, there are bumps that you will have to surpass. Keep looking until you find the product that works best for you without side effects. If you are still wondering: How do I get rid of blackheads on my nose for good? Keep a good skincare routine and they will stay away.
by Sarah M.
Last updated: 09/23/2016